Friday, August 20, 2010

Birthdays

In other news (and for blog part two), it’s a birthday filled two weeks! Let me just tell you a little bit about that:

My mom’s birthday: August 15th

Adam’s dad’s birthday: August 20th

Adam’s grandfather’s birthday: August 23rd

My birthday: August 27th

Impressive, right? There are other birthdays in there too… but they’re less related, second cousins and stuff. So anyway, moral of the story, we’re having parties. And I love a good party. I also love cake and presents. As much as I love getting presents, I love giving them. It’s a problem sometimes, though, because I’m incapable of giving meaningless gifts. Gift cards are not something that you will EVER get from me. Adam articulates this nicely, because he doesn’t want to give or receive obligatory gifts. If you’re giving a gift because it’s a gift-giving occasion and the world says you have to, so you ran out and grabbed the first thing that you saw that would be acceptable… it’s a no go.

When you’ve grown up that kind of kid, though, you really struggle when you’re 24. I mean seriously, that’s like 15 years of trying to think of creative and unique gifts for your parents for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, and birthdays?! I used up all my good ideas years ago! And don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining. The fun part is getting creative and considering what you know about people. It is also important to note, however, that sometimes homemade gifts crash and burn… as do most of the things I make for my father. One day I’m going to come up with something good though. When it makes it out of the basement or a closet, I’ll know that I’ve done well. I don’t know if Dad reads my blog, but I hope he does, because this is a passive aggressive tactic on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment