Saturday, August 7, 2010

Influence


I mailed our wedding invitations today (Friday - I'm posting a day late)… at least most of them. So, that’s some good progress! Wedding inviting starts out fun and easy and ends up kind of defeating, though. One of the things that we tried to do when making our initial list was make a point to invite people who have helped shape us into the people we are as individuals, as well as the people that we are together.

So the initial process of looking back on life and realizing the impact that others have had on you is really amazing, but at the end of the day, SO MANY PEOPLE have had a hand in the person that I am today. So it’s all well and good until you realize that Puckett’s won’t hold the entirety of the people that have shaped your world, and even if it could, you can’t afford to feed them.

So the hard part comes – editing. It’s weird to try and gage this kind of stuff. For example, there’s a couple that I absolutely LOVED when I was about five years old. I remember vividly how much I loved them and their family. Some of my earliest memories are of these people… But I haven’t seen them in over fifteen years. (It stuns me that I can actually say that – am I growing up OR WHAT?!) And then there are people that Adam and I met literally months ago who we like and appreciate that seem so relevant to our lives, but haven’t been around long and aren’t guaranteed to be around for any extended time period. And then there are the long-standing-always-been-there-for-you friends that you can’t remember ever not knowing. Is one type of influence more important? Can anyone (besides family) really take precedence?

It’s sorta sucky, I’ll be honest. But at the end of the day, what I do know is that the people who will be there on my wedding day are people that are wise, influential, and bring joy to both of our lives in ways that we can’t ever really express. It’s very humbling to have that kind love. To be overwhelmed by the support of people who have been there and will continue to be there for you.

So thanks, to all of you. We’re lucky people.


No comments:

Post a Comment