Monday, August 9, 2010

These Boots Were Made for Walkin'

I asked Adam to make up a post name for today and decided that I would write about whatever he said… which, if you know Adam at all, is kind of a gamble. Anyway, the first thing that he said was, “These boots were made for walkin’.” He followed that with the suggestion: Silly Bandz, which I’m thrilled he came up with second instead of first.

So, basically, these boots were made for walkin’. I liked this, because it’s pretty appropriate at this point in my life. Adam probably knew this, hence the suggestion, but I’m going to pretend that he’s not the most attentive fiancé ever (which he is, by the way) and say that it’s a happy coincidence that he chose this is the theme of the post.

I’ve been getting the really strong sense lately that I’m not done learning. I guess really no one is ever done learning, and we should all be silently striving to be “lifelong learners” and make our kindergarten teachers proud, so in that sense, I’m not particularly unique. But there are just some things about the world that I think I’m supposed to know… or want to know, even. For example, I feel like it’s absolutely imperative that I learn how to make a perfect latte. And cappuccino. And cup of coffee. And I feel like my life won’t really be complete if I don’t learn how to be a photographer, even if I don’t end up doing it professionally. There are tons of other things, I’m sure, that fit into that category, too. The beauty of life is in the process and the learning and doing and trying and playing. Which is why you shouldn’t give up on something that you believe in. You can shelve it for awhile, sure – but at the end of the day, don’t let your life be filled with a lot of “I wish I had’s” or “I should have’s.” Reading that back to myself makes it sound SOOHOOOOO cliché… but I think the reality is (for me anyway) that there seriously are things that are taking a backseat. Things that I really want to get to, but if I’m honest with myself, don’t know that I will ever make a priority enough to accomplish.

So if you have those things, do them. Or at least dust them off and remember why you loved them to begin with… that might be motivation enough. Was that soapboxy? I’m off it. And I plan on having much less downer blog posts in the future, just for the record.

No comments:

Post a Comment