Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Rain

I want today’s post to be about something interesting and witty. Unfortunately for all of us, the only thing that I’m able to generate is wedding related business involving order of ceremony, musicians, meetings, and showers.

To spare you, let’s talk about how obsessed I am with the fact that it’s raining. Because I am. I think there was a point in our lives when it was weird to like rain and storms, but my observation as of late is that pretty much across the board, everyone loves a good rainstorm. Part of me wonders why that is… I mean, if we’re being for real, isn’t rain kind of a downer?

Apparently not.

Maybe it’s just an excuse for solitude. Maybe we’re just all running too fast and can use rain as an excuse to stay inside and get some stuff done …Or an excuse to spend an afternoon in bed watching Friends. And, of course, it might have the added bonus of cooling everything down (which is kind of a gamble, because more than half of the time it just makes everything more humid).

Here’s the thing though: I think we’re wired to appreciate rain. It’s one of those things you don’t really “get” until you grow up, but at the end of the day rain is about renewal. Rain washes stuff clean… the roads, your car, whatever. At the end of the day, water is Jesus’ refresher. There are 722 references to water in the Bible… starting at Genesis 1:2 and ending with Revelation 22:17. So literally, cover to cover. That’s a theme if I’ve ever heard one. So I think I’m going to start giving that some serious thought. I love rain, but I only occasionally stop to consider its significance as far as eternal perspective goes. I’m thinking it would be a good goal to learn to praise and meditate when the rain comes. There might be a lot to learn. I’ll (of course) let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment